Tuesday, March 10, 2015

REVIEW: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancy (The 5th Wave #1)


The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1)
Name: The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave #1)
Author: Rick Yancy
Number of Pages: 457
Publisher: G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Date Published: May 7th, 2013
Source: Gift
Rate: 4.5/5

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker.

Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

[GOODREADS][AMAZON][B&N][BOOK DEPOSITORY]

I have officially classified this month as Dystopian Month by my own terms! Because the last 3 books I have read are all dystopian...although The 5th Wave is already at the top of my list of Dystopian books for the month! With such a thriller that kept me turning the pages until the very end, no wonder I finished it in less than 3 days.

The aliens have finally decided that Earth is their place to be; watching and waiting for years just for the right moment. Each wave is something different. The first wave- lights out. The second wave - a land "wave." The third wave - the plague. The fourth wave - the intrusion. The 5th wave - has yet to come. Each wave took the population of earth and grinded it to pulp; leaving no one untouched. 

Cassie - Cassiopeia - Sullivan has been to hell and back...literally. She has lost her friends, her highschool crush, her parents each from a different wave. The only thing pushing her through the broken lands of the once great United States is her promise to her little brother. I loved and when I mean love, I mean LOVE Cassie. I first I really could not connect to her; I think because I could not really put myself in her situation, since I never really thought what I would do. But I could not help but connect with her emotions. They were so strong it was almost as if she was yelling them through the book.

I must say that I found Cassie's mind to be very...peculiar, messed up, crazy - you name it. Through the death, the blood, and the invasion her humor has become dark and morbid. In a way I could not help but laugh because she took the most depressing situation and lightened the tension. Cassie is a strong, independent, stubborn character. Although she was never this way, no one was. I think the greatest thing that Rick Yancy did in this book was show the old Cassie and then the new Cassie - if he didn't then you would have thought she was a natural born killer.

The 5th Wave, although amazing, took me a few chapters to catch on to what was going on. Yancy, I personally think, that he has a unique writing style one that takes a few pages to decipher and understand. Yet once I caught on I flew through this book, devouring each page after another.

I can never truly explain this book without taking up pages and pages worth just to get out the main idea. Some have come up to me saying "the end to this book is so predictable." I will have to disagree with them because this book is far from predictable...I was shocked with the ending! I honestly could not predict 10 pages from the page I was currently on.

The plot gave me feels! I mean it truly gave me more feels than I wanted! I was just so frustrated in such a good way. With the need to find out the 5th wave I could not help but just devour this book. As each page turned the plot just got deeper and deeper. I could not imagine what I would do if aliens tried to take earth...probably run like a chicken and hide in the mountains like the people in this book did!

I can not wait to continue The 5th Wave series and continue onto Infinite Sea! If you love adventure, aliens, bad ass characters, and anything that is dystopian - you will devour this book just as I did!

My recommendation: BUY THE BOOK!!! It is too good to pass up!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh, this has been on my TBR since it came out! I've promised myself I'm going to read it this year and I really hope I am able to keep my promise. Lol! Awesome review!! (:

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely need to read it! Although I am not a fan of the second book unfortunately :(...I still love the series and I can not wait for the third book to release!

      Delete