Tuesday, August 19, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder


Touch of Power (Healer, #1)
Name: Touch of Power (Healer #1)
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Number of Pages: 390
Publisher: Mira
Date Published: December 20th, 2011
Source: Review (Bought/Online)
Rate: 4.5/5


Laying hands upon the injured and dying, Avry of Kazan assumes their wounds and diseases into herself. But rather than being honoured for her skills, she is hunted. Healers like Avry are accused of spreading the plague that has decimated the Territories, leaving the survivors in a state of chaos.

Stressed and tired from hiding, Avry is abducted by a band of rogues who, shockingly, value her gift above the golden bounty offered for her capture. Their leader an enigmatic captor-protector with powers of his own is unequivocal in his demands: Avry must heal a plague-stricken prince, the leader of a campaign against her people.

As they traverse the daunting Nine Mountains, beset by mercenaries and magical dangers, Avry must decide who is worth healing and what is worth dying for.

[ Summary taken from GoodReads ]

 

After reading the Study trilogy I have come to consider Maria V. Snyder in my top ten favorite authors. She is an amazing writer, the detail that she puts into her writing is exquisite, it is as if her writing can come to life. That did not change when it came to her next book Touch of Power

Avry is living in a world where her kind is hunted. Instead of being given the gratitude for the life she just save, her people are slaughtered because man kind thinks the healers started a plague that is killing off thousands. She moves silently from town to town, hiding for the past two years, just trying to get by. Not without healing a few people along the way of course. Unfortunately Avry is captured by a group of bandits who want her to a heal sick prince, but Avry is not rooting for the prince in fact she would rather see him dead. 

Touch of Power was a beautiful read, it had combined all of my favorite things: magic, romance, and the medieval era. Maria V. Snyder once again has mastered the arts of detail, I never was confused or lost and her plot was solid. I enjoyed reading this new world that was created. Healers were very respected they were scientists, doctors, and in a way they were protectors. Alas, the people needed someone to blame for the plague.

Avry was a beautifully created character: she was strong, kind, and selfless. Usually I am not one for characters to be a walking "doormat," to my relief Avry was no such thing.  Being selfless fit Avry well, she just wanted to do what was right. Yet she always had something to say if you pushed her buttons. I also enjoyed the bandits, after getting past the initial anger of them kidnapping her, they treated each other like family. Kennick was an amazing leader: strong and a protector. Belen was kind of like the father of the group. Each and every character that was introduced I came to either love or hate for their role in the book; they all felt realistic to me.  

I loved this book. It had everything I needed from the perfect plot to the well written characters.


Some quotes that I liked: 

"You’re worth more alive than dead.” He paused, knowing he had said the wrong thing. “I meant, I need you to heal someone for me. Once he’s better, you can go back into hiding or do whatever you’d like.”

“So who gave him his name?" I asked.

"Kerrick," Belen answered.

Not who I'd expect. "Why 'Flea'?"

A full-out grin spread across Flea's face. "Cause I'm fast and hard to catch."

"Because he's a pest and hard to squash," Belen said.

"Because he jumps about three feet in the air when you scare him," Loren added.

"Because he's annoying and makes us itch with impatience," Quain said.

"Thanks, guys. I love you too." Flea made exaggerated kissing noises and patted his ass.”  



Read On!!

xx Kat xx

No comments:

Post a Comment