Saturday, August 16, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Hollowland by Amanda Hocking


Hollowland (The Hollows, #1)

Name: Hollowland (The Hollows #1)
Author: Amanda Hocking
Number of Pages: 312
Publisher: Amanda Hocking
Date Published: October 6h, 2010
Source: Review (Bought/Online)
Rate: 3.5/5

Hollowland - the first book in the young adult dystopian series The Hollows... "This is the way the world ends - not with a bang or a whimper, but with zombies breaking down the back door." Nineteen-year-old Remy King is on a mission to get across the wasteland left of America, and nothing will stand in her way - not violent marauders, a spoiled rock star, or an army of flesh-eating zombies.
[ Summary taken from GoodReads ]









Now I am not one for self published books but it had been sitting on my virtual shelf for awhile, and I felt it was time to read it. I had picked this book up for a fairly cheap price and wasn't expecting perfect quality. I had found Hollowland to be a decent read yet it was not with out it's many flaws.

Remy is hardened by the world around her and the only person she had left, her little brother Max, is separated from her when the quarantine they were residing in was overrun by zombies. Out of all the characters she was the one I came to like the most yet I also struggled with her character as well. She is your everyday zombie killing machine mixed with a whole bucket full of sarcasm. Her only soft spot is Max who she is currently looking for over the barren waste lands of what use to be the United States. Yet there were spots where she was not my biggest fan. Remy came off really heartless and nasty at times which made it hard for me to like her during those parts. I felt like I had whiplash part of the time: do I like her or don't I?

I must admit, though, that the zombies were well written. They definitely were not your average I want to eat brains zombies, they were pretty much zombies on steroids: fast and super strong. Which was the one thing I enjoyed most about this book. The zombies were an A+.

Now onto the not so fun part, I honestly have no idea where Hocking was going with the plot. It was completely sporadic and sometimes not even there. The only thing that kept me from putting this book down was the action laced into the boredom. The fighting scenes were perfect, It makes you feel the adrenaline rush and fear just as much as the characters. Aside from that the plot lacked profusely. I was hoping for a little more details in certain part and less details in others. I also was not a fan of the famous dude Lazlo, he may be cute but I don't think he should have been in Hollowland, he did not play a big role besides being Remy's love interest. Even then, the romance was not what I was expecting it was out of place and I could not feel the love at all.

This book wasn't bad but if you plan on reading it you need to except what Hocking gives you and get rid of all thoughts of a plot and have to come to terms with a giant zombie eating lion...which I am not even going to begin to explain, it is unexplainable.



Read On!!

xx Kat xx

No comments:

Post a Comment