Monday, August 25, 2014

BOOK REVIEW Wake Unto Me by Lisa Cach


Wake Unto Me

Name: Wake Unto Me
Author: Lisa Cach
Number of Pages: 304
Publisher: Speak
Date Published: March 31st, 2011
Source: Review (Bought)
Rate: 3.5/5


A haunted castle, a handsome young man dead for four hundred years, one heck of a scary portrait of a witch, and a treasure hunt -- not to mention a princess for a roommate! -- all await 15 year old American girl Caitlyn Monahan when she earns a scholarship to a French boarding school.

There are secrets behind the stone walls of Chateau de la Fortune, buried for centuries along with the mystery of who killed Raphael, the charming ghost who visits Caitlyn at night. But as Caitlyn unearths the history of the castle, nothing scares her as badly as the secret she learns about herself, and the reason she was chosen to come to the Fortune School.

And nothing breaks her heart as badly as falling in love with a dead guy.

[ Summary taken from GoodReads ]










 
First off I would like to say that I found this book a good twist in the paranormal world. I am always one to try new things and this one definitely was new. 

Caitlyn is almost your typical teenager in high school. She has struggles more than most, having gone through middle school with only one person as her "bestfriend," and an artist to boot. Yet she wants out of her dull life in Oregon. She gets that when she receives a full scholarship to Chateau de la Fortune, a french boarding school. Yet Caitlyn has no idea what she is in for. Barely a few weeks into school she is thrown into a world with 400 years worth of history, her dreams are becoming more severe and realistic than ever before, and there is a handsome man that rides a horse - Raphael. 

As much as I wanted to love this book I did not. I honestly felt like it was improperly marked. I was expecting a ghost paranormal romance, which is the genre of the book, but I felt like I got more of a time traveler theme. The only ghost scenes I got was two thirds through the book, I was a little disappointed. I did like the historical theme behind it all but I was expecting something more. From what I read on the synopsis and what is seen on the cover, I just expected it to be a ghost romance story. 

Another upsetting aspect to this book was the unrealistic characters. Caitlyn was pretty whiny; she never thought anyone understood her. She acted like a real teenager would, but most of her characteristics made her a stereotypical teen girl. She was not the only one, many of the characters played unrealistic roles. Pretty much the characters felt like "plastic."

Unfortunately, though, this was not a top on my favorite read list. I loved the new paranormal world, I loved the idea behind it all but I felt like it was missing quite a bit of information. It was also missing the realistic characters. I wish that the author would have taken the book to a whole new level, but we can't always read that perfect book.

Read On!!!

xx Kat xx
I am sorry guys these posts are later at night, but orientation pretty much goes from 8am to 11pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment