Thursday, March 5, 2015

Should Young Adult books still be called Young Adult? | Bookish Talks #2


Should Young Adult books still be called Young Adult?
So many of you are probably wondering what the heck this post is even about, yes the title is very confusing but it was really the only way I could even describe this post! After reading many young adult books, seeing quite a few videos on them, and so on I have come to a conclusion that Young Adult books are getting darker, sexier (dare I say ;), and more detailed. You are probably like well yah, I already know this!! 

Because Young Adult books are entering this new dark era should they still be considered or more so called Young Adult. I personally do not think so. I feel like Young Adult books fall from the age of 12-17 rather than 18-25. I also think Young Adult books are much more clean, not as detailed when it comes to certain things, and especially not sexy. So what do we call these new era of books.

Personally I have no clue. What I do know is that the age range is around 18-30 years of age, I also know that it will be containing graphic content, sexual ideas, and be way more dark than a Young Adult would be. Should it be called New Age Young Adult or Late Young Adult?  Who knows but I personally think that there should be two sections at books stores one for Young Adult and the other for those that are between Young adult and Adult!

So what are your guys thoughts? Am I just being weird about this?

9 comments:

  1. You bring up an interesting point, I don't often take much notice to be honest! It also depends on people's maturity - the labels "young adult" and "new adult" etc are apparently more for marketing. Great post :)

    Most recent post on Enchanted by YA: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/book-haul-extravaganza.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not notice it either until someone mentioned it too me! So I am like why not make a post on it!

      Delete
  2. As a parent of a 12 year old, I LOVE this post. I get so aggravated when my daughter ends up with a book that has stuff she's too young for in it, even though it is marketed to her age group. It's very frustrating and I agree that there should be a different classification for those books. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand this! I am so glad that you enjoyed this post, I have noticed this and when I brought my niece to the bookstore to pick a book, lets just say she opened a young adult book to something she just did not need to know!

      Delete
  3. As a parent of a 12 year old, I LOVE this post. I get so aggravated when my daughter ends up with a book that has stuff she's too young for in it, even though it is marketed to her age group. It's very frustrating and I agree that there should be a different classification for those books. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very interesting post about a topic I find myself coming back to. I do agree that young adult books now a days are becoming even more darker ( self harm, dangerous thoughts, etc in characters ) and are even including a variety of sexual activities. Whether it be abusive or just sex. And then the age label subject comes up. I'm agreeing with Anna because it all depends on maturity.

    As for separating the two types of young adult, I don't really know. I feel like there are many, many books related to young adult so it's not just that a book is "Young Adult". There's science fiction, fantasy, horror, etc. I'm babbling and probably not making sense. XD But I really do applaud you for approaching this topic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear your opinion on this! It is kind of hard to approach this topic just because there are so many opinions on it, I have heard many mixed things and I decided I wanted to reply to it in my own way! You are making perfect sense! So do not worry XD

      Delete
  5. I don't think we need to create a new distinction of Young Adult. I think, now that there are darker, more mature books in YA (as you said) we need to establish a clearer distinction between Young Adult and Teen. I feel like Teen and YA are used interchangeably and maybe we should classify them as separate and distinct. Wouldn't it make more sense for Teen to be the 12-17 age range and books targeted towards 18-25 year olds to be considered Young Adult?

    I definitely agree that there does need to be a distinction between the darker, more mature YA books and the other YA books. I'm only 21 and don't have any kids (especially none that would be reading YA) but I do have a 12 year old cousin who just recently got into reading YA and as an avid YA reader I can tell you that there are certain books on my shelf that I do not feel comfortable recommending/lending to her. When she's older, yes, but definitely not at 12 years old.

    Also, there is a relatively recent genre called New Adult that is targeted towards 18-25 year olds but I would be really hesitant about classifying the darker YA books as NA. Partly because the genre is not nearly as complex as YA and also because all the NA books that I've read so far kind of all blend together after a certain point. I would much much rather keep the established YA classification on these darker books that place an entirely new or less established classification (like NA).

    Ifrah @ Brain on Pause

    ReplyDelete
  6. the content of the story is very interesting an experience and new insights that I get after reading this article, thanks for very interesting information, we are waiting for other interesting information
    obat maag akut herbal
    obat kencing batu tanpa operasi
    obat herbal herpes zoster

    ReplyDelete