Friday, October 10, 2014

BOOK REVIEW: Legend of the Oceina Dragon by J.F. Jenkins


Legend of the Oceina Dragon (The Dragons Saga, #1)

Name: Legend of the Oceina Dragon (The Dragon Saga #1)
Author: J.F. Jenkins
Number of Pages: 270
Publisher: CreateSpace
Date Published: February 22nd, 2011
Source: Review (Nook-Bought)
Rate: 3.8/5 (I know weird right!)

Darien Oceina is the youngest son of the Great Dragon Lord of the Water. For years he's loved and cherished Tai Dawson from afar. Tai is a simple, ordinary girl who doesn't even know Darien exists. On his eighteenth birthday, he chooses her as his wife. But there’s one problem: She thinks his choice means she's going to be offered as a sacrifice to the Dragon Lord, but instead, she’s forced to move to his home, far away, to give up her life and be his bride.

When she first sees Darien after the ceremony, she doesn’t expect to feel anything but hatred toward him. The two are struggling with the complications of a new marriage when their nation is attacked by a rival dragon species. Together they learn to love one another while they struggle to stay one step ahead in a game where the prize is their survival.

[Summary taken from GoodReads]

I have always had a fascination with dragons, so while scoping through the Barnes and Noble store (on my Nook) I found this beauty and decided to pick it up. I ignored all the other reviews because I wanted to form my own opinion rather than not picking it up because someone else decided to say it was horrible. Besides the synopsis was kinda irresistible... I loved the story line already!

The Legend of Oceina Dragon is about a girl, named Tai, who is to be sacrificed to the great Dragon Lord- Oceina. She has been chosen from all the girls on Little Ociena Island to be sacrificed. First of all what the heck! I am so glad these people are nonchalant about just letting one of their girls be eaten by a fricken dragon! Which, of course, turns out to be not so true.

The world that J.F. Jenkins has written is a very thought out world. There are four dragon species: The Oceina (Water), the Aero (Air), the Inero (Fire), and the Terran (Land). All these dragons are the leader's, the lords of the land. I found this concept to be quite cool. There are also rules that all humans must follow, especially the girls. Which I found quite interesting, some of the rules were understandable yet, some of the rules were very far fetched. Which I believe added depth in the book.

Tai is a good girl. She doesn't break any laws, even though there is one that she wishes she could break. I honestly had a hate/love relationship with this character. At many parts of the book I must say that Tai was complete bitch. She was so mean to Darien. I get it, she was uprooted from her home but he is just so sweet, and cute how can you be so cruel!!

Darien was amazing he was gentle, sweet, and definitely good looking. All he wanted was love and a wife. He just wanted to have a family, but Tai just had to be difficult! I enjoyed some of their banters and I loved delving into his world more.

So what did I not like about this book? Well there was a lot of politics, and we all know just how much I love that. I know that the government was needed but it honestly just ticked me off more in the end. Another thing I wish for is the depth of the character development. I didn't really connect to any of the character's and I would have loved to have gotten a deeper background story.

Overall this book was really good. You can go out and buy it if you want, I would personally borrow from a friend and then buy it!

Read on my homies!

xx Kat xx




No comments:

Post a Comment