Wednesday, August 27, 2014

BOOK REVIEW Queen of Someday by Sherry Ficklin


Queen of Someday (Stolen Empire, #1)

Name: Queen of Someday (Stolen Empire #1)
Author: Sherry D. Ficklin
Number of Pages: 262
Expected Publish Date: October 7th, 2014
Publisher: Clean Teen Publishing
Source: ARC Given from Netgalley/Clean Teen Publishing
Rate: 4/5

ONE GIRL WILL BRING AN EMPIRE TO ITS KNEES...

Before she can become the greatest empress in history, fifteen-year-old Sophie will have to survive her social-climbing mother’s quest to put her on the throne of Russia—at any cost.

Imperial Court holds dangers like nothing Sophie has ever faced before. In the heart of St. Petersburg, surviving means navigating the political, romantic, and religious demands of the bitter Empress Elizabeth and her handsome, but sadistic nephew, Peter. Determined to save her impoverished family—and herself—Sophie vows to do whatever is necessary to thrive in her new surroundings. But an attempt on her life and an unexpected attraction threatens to derail her plans.

Alone in a new and dangerous world, learning who to trust and who to charm may mean the difference between becoming queen and being sent home in shame to marry her lecherous uncle. With traitors and murderers lurking around every corner, her very life hangs in the balance. Betrothed to one man but falling in love with another, Sophie will need to decide how much she’s willing to sacrifice in order to become the empress she is destined to be.

In a battle for the soul of a nation, will love or destiny reign supreme?

[ Summary taken from GoodReads ]



Although I am not a fan of history, I did quite enjoy this book. Queen of Someday gave be a newer perspective when it comes to historical fiction. I have always shied away when I even saw the word historical, yet this did not happen with this fast pace book. Although let me warn you, if you are not one for a three way love triangle than I do not suggest this book to you. Sophie has a prince that she must marry to appease her mother, another that she is falling in love with, and another one...

I truly fell in love with Sophie and all of her little quirks. She is my kind of character. Sophie is genuine, brave, strong, and beautiful. No wonder all these guys are vying for her attention. Well besides the fact that she is a princess. Yet unlike most princesses in that time era, Sophie has been taught how to wield swords and how to use a bow. So pretty much she is a kick ass princess. Although, there were some aspects that I did not like about her. Well really only one; It was the fact that she was allowing all these guys to follow her and love her. I felt like she was throwing mixed signals and I honestly felt she kept on going from one guy to the next. It fit in the book pretty well, but I am not a fan of  love triangles.

I must say that my least favorite character of the book was Sophie's mother. The women was head strong, always caring about herself, and she was really in it for the money. It was good and bad at the same time I think. I also would have liked to seen a little bit more of her in the book. And it was not just her but many other secondary characters that I feel could have played big roles throughout the context of this book.

Unfortunately for Sophie, her future is set. She must marry Peter, no matter the costs. Although, I was never one for Peter and his love games; or any of his games for a matter of fact. Yet there was one "lover" of Sophie that I did prefer over the other. Besides Peter the other two sweet, kind gentlemen. The romance definitely was a well thought out plan. It does not matter how much I did not like the love triangle, I give credit for the romance.

Another thing that I came to like was the writing. I felt that it was very elegant and fit into the era, for which it was meant for. I never felt like I was reading a twenty-first century book and that was what I was looking for the most. When I read historical fiction, or really anything that a historical aspect It must have the quality and realistic idea of that historical time period. Which I got in Queen of Someday. The clothing style was perfect: the corsets, big ball dresses, and hair pins. Even the values I felt were well placed. I was very pleased with this outcome.

I always found myself trying to predict the future of this book. Yet, every time I came up wrong. You will always find yourself thinking that you were right, just to find your self wrong in the end. I think that's why I believe it was such a page turner for me. Even the person I thought Sophie would fall in love with was wrong! I am very happy that The Clean Teen Publishing allowed me to review this book, because I quite enjoyed myself.

Read On!!

xx Kat xx










2 comments:

  1. I skimmed your review Kat, as I am reading this for a review in October. I love this author and you have me excited to dive in. I adore the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it to! It was definitely my kind of book!

      Delete